Thank you to everyone who attended the last General Membership Meeting.
Here are a couple of updates from the meeting:
- We are happy to announce that Wilson Franco has been acclaimed as the Full-time/part-time Unit Representative. Wilson is a maintenance technician at UTM, and we are excited to have him as part of the executive team. Welcome, Wilson!
- We encourage members who are interested in joining the fight for decent work to join the next meeting for UofT’s Decent Work Chapter on March 11th from 6-8pm. If you are interested, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Decent Work chapter is about:
- Minimum labour standards at U of T are winnable through a campaign approach – and can be coordinated to boost bargaining power
- We can help boost the provincial campaign to win Paid Sick Leave for all workers in the ESA. This is about winning meaningful racial justice, as well as reducing community transmission.
- Doing this campaign work now will position us well to organize members of our community (at U of T) to help get rid of anti-worker and anti-student governments
- Members also discussed issues with lack of transparency by U of T on reporting cases of COVID-19. The union will continue working with the employer to make sure our members are informed and kept safe.
Remember, if you feel unsafe at work, including for reasons related to COVID-19, you have a right to refuse. Talk to your union and inform your supervisor.
All the best,