The executive committee was saddened to hear of yet another student death on campus yesterday — unfortunately the third death at the Bahen Centre over the past two years.
Our thoughts are with this student’s friends and family, and all those impacted by this tragedy. CUPE 3261 stands in solidarity with students calling for increased mental health support on campus. Our thoughts are also with the workers who were on the scene: first responders and caretakers. Your valuable work does not go unnoticed.
If you or someone you know is in distress, you can call:
- Canada Suicide Prevention Service phone available 24/7 at 1-833-456-4566
- Good 2 Talk Student Helpline at 1-866-925-5454
- Ontario Mental Health Helpline at 1-866-531-2600
- Gerstein Centre Crisis Line at 416-929-5200
- U of T Health & Wellness Centre at 416-978-8030
We also would like to remind our members that many of our bargaining units, including the Full Time and Part Time unit, have access to the Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP) through their UofT benefits. The EFAP offers free confidential short-term counselling to employees and their dependants for personal, family, and work-related problems. Click here for more information.